Monday, May 30, 2011

I'm in Iceland now and like most people I decided to leave Reykjavík, the capital, over the weekend and go the "families summer cabin". Before I left the capital I wanted to purchase some things and visit a photography show where my friend had pictures on display. So I drove to the store at 10 o'clock in the morning. The door was open and some guy was standing by the register so I walked inside. It turned out that this guy was the owner and he told me that the store opened at noon. It told them politely that by then I would've left town. He didn't care. Next I went to find the photography show only to find that it opened at 3 o'clock in the afternoon.
There are so many people that leave Reykjavík at noon Saturday, to spend a night outside the city limits that there are usually traffic jams on the highways from the city. No one seems to want their business before they leave.
In The Netherlands people get up early on Saturday mornings to go to the store and most are home by lunchtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment