Sunday, February 13, 2011

I've just come home from having nice dinner in Leiden with some coworkers. I learned a lot there, for example the Icelandic words "reikninginn takk" sound almost exactly like the Dutch people asking the waiter for the check. So if you're in The Netherlands feel free to use Icelandic to ask for the check. :)
I had one beer too many but what can I say. It was my turn to treat and it would've looked bad had I not had one too.
I also found out, on the train from Leiden, by using the GPS in my work phone that the trains here have top speed of about 130 Km/hr.
Today I went around Hoofddorp and decided to postpone buying a bicycle (Fiets, pronounced as fijts and cycling is fijtsen). It seems that when the stores are closed and I can't buy a bicycle I decide to buy it, but when the stores are open I decide not to. Well it takes me 20 minutes to walk to work, it would take me 5-10 minutes to "fijtsen". It feels that most of that time is taken waiting for the traffic lights over the canal close to the apartment. They're unbelievably badly programmed. :)
I saw in an advertisement in the train station that Icelandair is offering 3 day trips to Iceland, hotel and flight for only 299 Euros. Who knows, maybe I'll drop in for a visit soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment